Sunday, August 13, 2017

3-trunks fused ficus wiring

Trunk fusion I performed almost 5 months ago was certainly a success. Steel wires I used are now totally hidden under the bark, fused trunk has perfectly cylindrical shape and seams between original trunks have almost vanished. Scars from wires are still there, as well as their cut ends, which now serve as some kind of thorns. But I believe it's just a matter of time until they disappear. Also, several branches have grown in various places.
I added new wire bonds as it grew taller approximately every month and cut the tallest trees to let the lagging one to catch up. Maybe they way I did bonds or alignment of lighting in the greenhouse made the plant to grow in a very curved manner.
In this case that's not what I wanted. My plan for this specimen is to grow straight and tall. I tried realigning it relative to light, but this just added curvature in opposite direction. So I had to wire it while it's not too late. I have 1mm aluminum wire in thick rubber coating. When I wound it around trunk, it didn't held shape. So I made a few holes in the pot and used more wire to stretch the tree in opposite directions of one plane, attaching it on different height. Some curvature stayed, but now it looks not that morbid:
I also strapped new lower branches to main trunk with this thick wire. Binding is less tight than I did previously, but it's temporary anyway and branches are too thin so far. Now I'm going to leave it like this for several months until it's time to repot.

No comments:

Post a Comment