Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Baobab and eucalyptus

I'm starting two new projects today.
First is Adansonia perrieri - a rare species of baobab. I've got 3 seeds, pretty large ones.
After a night soaking in warm water I'm sowing them. One seed didn't sink, so I expect propagation rate to be not more than 2/3, but that's OK.
The premixed soil I got recently disappointed me a little - it doesn't hold moisture well enough - water just pour down the bottom of the pot and in a day soil is dry even though air is at almost 100% humidity. To circumvent it, I put a layer of sphagnum moss in the middle. Hopefully this organic addition will improve soil properties. I'll mix my own soil next time.
Another project is eucalyptus. I got a small bag of seeds which themselves are really tiny, even smaller then ones of ficus. Advert said "75 seeds of Eucalyptus deglupta, Rainbow-Tree, Rainbow-Gum, Rare viable seeds". It's more likely there's well over 100 of them actually. I'll try to propagate them all and then have fun doing trunk fusion. I'm soaking these seeds for 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment